LATEST FRONTIER NEWS
Foltyn claims Montgomery crownMarch 28, 2016
MONTGOMERY, Ala. – The moment certainly wasn’t too big for bull rider Clayton Foltyn.
The three-time Wrangler National Finals Rodeo qualifier had his skills on display as he posted a 91-point ride on Frontier Rodeo’s Kathmadu to win the Southeastern Livestock Exposition Rodeo (March 17-19).
“Everything was kind of touch-and-go,” Foltyn said about his ride, which took place March 18. “It sure wasn’t no day off, but it was a lot of fun.”
Foltyn left Garrett Coliseum with $4,145 in winnings, allowing him to move up from 34th in the March 14 WEATHER GUARD PRCA World Standings to 22nd this week. Foltyn made trips to the WNFR in 2005, ’11 and ’15.
“I’ve seen that bull for four or five years now,” Foltyn said about Kathmadu. “He’s an older bull, but he still doesn’t get rode a lot. (Pro Rodeo Hall of Fame bull rider) Donnie Gay gave me a little bit of advice and told me how the ride was going to go and sure enough, it went that way.”
When Foltyn made the whistle, he knew it was a special ride. It tied for the highest-scored ride of the 2016 season with Jeff Askey’s 91 on JK Rodeo’s Page Break at the National Western Stock Show and Rodeo in Denver.
“I jumped off and I was happy,” Foltyn said. “I knew I was going to be a lot of points. One of my buddies (Roscoe Jarboe) was 89 points a couple of bulls right before me, and it was just a heck of a rodeo. Pretty much every time Frontier Rodeo puts on a rodeo, if you do your part you have a chance to win some money.”
Frontier Rodeo was voted 2015 PRCA Stock Contractor of the Year.
Foltyn said this is the first time he has won the SLE Rodeo in Montgomery. His 91-point ride was one point off the rodeo’s bull riding record of 92 points, set by Clint Craig in 2003.
“It’s awesome that I won this rodeo,” Foltyn said. “My grandpa (Dickey Cox) won this rodeo in 1963, so it’s cool to join him. This also is the first time I’ve ever had any success at this rodeo.”
Cox, a four-time National Finals Rodeo bull rider, passed away March 20, 2015. Cox qualified for the NFR in 1963-64, ’68 and ’70. His best season in the Rodeo Cowboys Association, a precursor to the PRCA, was in 1963, when he was the reserve world champion behind gold buckle winner Bill Kornell. Cox’s other best finishes came in 1964 (sixth), 1968 (13th) and 1970 (ninth).
A year ago, Foltyn finished a career-best fifth in the bull riding standings with $183,957. He had a superb WNFR in Las Vegas, collecting $118,731, thanks to winning Rounds 2 and 9 and placing in two other rounds.
Other winners at the $91,523 rodeo were all-around cowboy Tim Pharr ($1,786, tie-down roping and team roping), bareback rider Wyatt Denny (83 points on Frontier Rodeo’s Cash Deal), steer wrestler Gary Gilbert (4.2 seconds), team ropers John Alley and Clark Adcock (8.5 seconds on two head), saddle bronc rider Zeke Thurston (88 points on Frontier Rodeo’s Medicine Woman), tie-down roper Randall Carlisle (7.8 seconds) and barrel racer Tiany Schuster (14.33 seconds).
Team ropers Dustin Egusquiza and Brad Culpepper broke the arena record and posted the fastest time of the 2016 season with a 3.5-second run to win the second round in Montgomery. Egusquiza in the younger brother of PRCA team roper Manny Egusquiza Jr., and Culpepper is a seven-time WNFR qualifier. Alley and Adcock broke the two-head average record with their time of 8.5 seconds.
For more coverage of the Southeastern Livestock Exposition Rodeo, check out the April 8 issue of the ProRodeo Sports News.
For this story and more, visit prorodeo.com! You can also copy and paste the link below in your web browser:
Other Frontier Rodeo News
- 62nd Wrangler National Finals Rodeo RecapDecember 14, 2020
- Frontier Rodeo Company wins 6th straight PRCA Stock Contractor of the Year awardDecember 8, 2020
- 61st Annual Wrangler NFR RecapDecember 16, 2019
- BUCKING BULL SALE - Monday, Sept. 2, 2019 - Freedom, OKJuly 18, 2019
- Top roughstock rides at the 91st Annual Arcadia All-Florida Championship Rodeo - March 7-10, 2019March 14, 2019
- Frontier Rodeo Company 60th WNFR RecapDecember 16, 2018
- Frontier Rodeo Company Announced 2018 PRCA Stock Contractor of the YearDecember 11, 2018
- SLE Pro Rodeo February 27, 2017
- Frontier Rodeo takes home the gold !! December 1, 2016
- Medicine Woman Does it Again !!October 24, 2016
- Don Gay to judge Big Tex Choice contest August 24, 2016
- Schlegel has career day at Cody StampedeJuly 6, 2016
- Wrights dominate saddle bronc riding at Cody StampedeJuly 5, 2016
- Final Results for Lehi RoundupJune 26, 2016
- Bennett hits right number to win Corpus ChristiApril 19, 2016
- Final Performance Results, Corpus Christi, Texas! April 17, 2016
- Results after Third Performance, Corpus Christi, TXApril 16, 2016
- Corpus Christi results after second performance April 15, 2016
- Results After First Performance, Corpus Christi, TX. April 14, 2016
- Local Favorite, Clayton Foltyn, of Winnie, Texas Takes Home the Money in Bull RidingMarch 26, 2016
- Southeastern Livestock ExpositionMarch 19, 2016
- Arcadia All-Fla Championship RodeoMarch 14, 2016
- Brown has sunny time in FloridaMarch 14, 2016
- ‘He’s the one,’ Palin campaigns for Trump at Arcadia RodeoMarch 14, 2016
- Lewis Feild: Oct. 28, 1956 – Feb. 15, 2016February 16, 2016
- 64th Annual Mid Winter Fair Rodeo WinnersJanuary 19, 2016
- Frontier Rodeo Company Named 2015 Stock Contractor of the YearDecember 21, 2015
- 2015 world champions crowned in Las VegasDecember 13, 2015
- Rusty Wright continues family’s winning legacyDecember 10, 2015
- Frontier Rodeo Company Receives PRCA Stock Contractor of the Year, Saddle Bronc of the Year, Medicine Woman, and PRCA Reserve World Champion Bareback Horse of the Year, Full Baggage! December 3, 2015
- State Fair Of Louisiana Pro RodeoOctober 27, 2015
- Medicine Woman, Dirty Jacket repeat as top stockOctober 20, 2015
- Pasadena Livestock Show & RodeoSeptember 23, 2015
- Casey Martin breaks through in CodyAugust 17, 2015
- Casey Martin breaks through in CodyAugust 17, 2015
- Freedom Rodeo And Old Cowhand ReunionAugust 17, 2015
- Diaz Sets Dodge City Round-Up Arena RecordAugust 3, 2015
- Kimzey has Good Time at Spanish ForkJuly 27, 2015
- Hardwick tops WCC Spanish Fork fieldJune 2, 2015
- Asay rides Frontier’s Dirty Cop to overall lead in bull riding at Buc Days RodeoApril 26, 2015
- Hermann thrills crowd to win barrel racing on final day of Buc Days Rodeo in Corpus ChristiApril 26, 2015
- Murphy, Breding finally tame Frontier bulls to lead going into weekend at Buc Days RodeoApril 25, 2015
- Frontier bulls steal spotlight on first day of Buc Days RodeoApril 24, 2015
- YMBL Championship Rodeo resultsMarch 28, 2015
- Outside the Arena -- True MaverickMarch 26, 2015
- Full Baggage has Young thinking about more travel (Southeastern Livestock Exposition results)March 22, 2015
- Spencer happily takes his Medicine in ArcadiaMarch 15, 2015
- Frontier Rodeo Co. building history with award-winning livestock; looks to Roswell May 15-16March 10, 2015
- Jerry Nelson's Frontier Rodeo Company Will Provide the World's Top Bucking Horses for THE AMERICANFebruary 28, 2015
- Semi-Finals crowns champions, names American qualifiersFebruary 28, 2015
- Andrews Rodeo dominates WNFR Top Stock AwardsDecember 23, 2014
- PRCA Bucking Stock of the Year AnnouncedOctober 20, 2014
- State Fair of Louisiana Accounts New Pro Rodeo Contract for 2014September 22, 2014
- Pasadena Livestock Show & Rodeo ResultsSeptember 18, 2014
- Pass, Bownds gain ground in PasadenaSeptember 18, 2014
- Results: XIT Rodeo & Reunion in Dalhart, TXAugust 11, 2014
- Sundell Finds Right Medicine in Dodge CityAugust 5, 2014
- Cody Stampede - Rodeo ResultsJuly 8, 2014
- Stall Rushes Toward Top with Big Night in CodyJuly 1, 2014
- Cody Wright Lets it Rip for 90 in MontgomeryMarch 15, 2014
- Frontier Rodeo Scores Big in Bucking Stock AwardsOctober 21, 2013
- Frontier Rodeo Featured in Buckin' Stock MagazineOctober 1, 2013
- World’s Top Rodeo and Bull Riding Champions to Compete for $2 Million Cash Payout in Richest One-Day Event in Western Sports HistoryAugust 22, 2013