LATEST FRONTIER NEWS
Frontier Rodeo Company Receives PRCA Stock Contractor of the Year, Saddle Bronc of the Year, Medicine Woman, and PRCA Reserve World Champion Bareback Horse of the Year, Full Baggage!December 3, 2015
LAS VEGAS – Justin Rumford is a well-known PRCA ProRodeo entertainer.
On Wednesday night, he was a two-time winner at the PRCA’s annual awards banquet.
Rumford won both the Coors Man in the Can and Clown of the Year awards before a packed house of 1,032 people at the South Point Hotel, Casino & Spa’s Grand Ballroom.
“This feels great,” Rumford said. “Last year I set a goal to work as hard as I can and try and do this again, and I’m just very thankful for everybody who voted for me. I’m so happy right now I’m about to cry.”
This was the fourth consecutive year Rumford won Clown of the Year. Rumford also was the Coors Man in the Can in 2013.
“It really means a lot,” said Rumford about his double awards.
The San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo continued its dominance in the Large Indoor Rodeo of the Year category, winning for the 11th year in a row. Keith Martin, who is the CEO of the San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo, announced to the audience that the San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo was donating its bonus check to Jake Barnes.
Moments before Martin made his announcement, the Days of ’76 Rodeo in Deadwood, S.D., which was chosen as Medium Rodeo of the Year for the 12th year in a row, did the same thing for Barnes.
Barnes, a seven-time world champion team roping header, suffered a traumatic brain injury and a broken ankle Nov. 27 when his horse fell while practicing with heeling partner Junior Nogueira at Barnes’ arena near Scottsdale, Ariz. The injury forced Barnes to withdraw from the Wrangler National Finals Rodeo presented by Polaris RANGER Dec. 3-12 in Las Vegas.
“When somebody needs help, we all help each other,” Martin said. “That was a great gesture that Deadwood did, and we should do the same thing.
“It means a lot to our volunteers back home (to win this award again). They work hard to get it done and this is for them, and it is for all the committees, and I’m just proud we are able to do it every year. You never take it for granted and you can never can just be satisfied with what you’re doing. I think you have to try to do better every year.”
Ted Thompson of the Days of ’76 Rodeo was glad to help out Barnes in his time of need.
“This is something we wanted to do for him and his family,” Thompson said. “Jake’s been a contestant at our rodeo for many years, and he’s a great guy and a great ambassador for ProRodeo. We think the world of him and that’s why I offered this challenge. We are just so blessed (to win this Medium Rodeo of the Year).”
Matt Twitchell made history when he was chosen as the inaugural winner of the Pickup Man of the Year.
“This is pretty cool to be the first one,” Twitchell said. “This is just awesome.”
The Pendleton (Ore.) Round-Up was selected as the Large Outdoor Rodeo of the Year.
The Will Rogers Stampede PRCA Rodeo in Claremore (Okla.) rodeo was chosen as the Small Rodeo of the Year for the second year in a row.
Frontier Rodeo was named Stock Contractor of the Year. It was an award Stace Smith Pro Rodeos had won the previous 11 years.
John Harrison was the Comedy Act of the Year for the second year in a row.
“I’m just glad Rumford doesn’t know how to trick ride,” said Harrison, which drew a laugh from the crowd.
Linda Alsbaugh was selected Secretary of the Year, and Randy Corley was chosen as the Announcer of the Year.
Dusty Tuckness was named the Bullfighter of the Year for the third year in a row, and Amanda & John Payne were chosen as Dress Act of the Year.
“I’ve been very blessed (to win this award)” Tuckness said. “This is always humbling to know my peers in this industry believe in me this much.”
The Pendleton (Ore.) Rodeo Committee and Three Hills Rodeo were selected for the Remuda Awards. Dr. John Boyington was selected Zoetis PRCA Veterinarian of the Year.
The PRCA Donita Barnes Contract Personnel Lifetime Achievement award was given to ProRodeo Hall of Fame stock contractor Cotton Rosser. Rosser then immediately donated his bonus check to Lewis Feild, a five-time world champion, who is suffering from pancreatic cancer.
Justin Committee Person of the Year
Mike Mathis, Lufkin (Texas) PRCA Rodeo
PRCA Media Awards
Las Vegas Review Journal
Pendleton (Ore.) PRCA Rodeo Committee
Three Hills Rodeo
Zoetis PRCA Veterinarian of the Year
Dr. John Boyington
Coors Man in the Can
Clown of the Year
Secretary of the Year
Dress Act of the Year
Amanda & John Payne
Comedy Act of the Year
Small Rodeo of the Year
Will Rogers Stampede PRCA Rodeo, Claremore, Okla.
Medium Rodeo of the Year
Days of ’76 Rodeo, Deadwood, S.D.
Large Indoor Rodeo of the Year
San Antonio (Texas) Stock Show & Rodeo
Large Outdoor Rodeo of the Year
Pendleton (Ore.) Round-Up
Bullfighter of the Year
Announcer of the Year
Stock Contractor of the Year
PRCA Donita Barnes Contract Personnel Lifetime Achievement
To read this story and more, copy and paste the link below in your web browser:
Other Frontier Rodeo News
- BUCKING BULL SALE - Monday, Sept. 2, 2019 - Freedom, OKJuly 18, 2019
- Top roughstock rides at the 91st Annual Arcadia All-Florida Championship Rodeo - March 7-10, 2019March 14, 2019
- Frontier Rodeo Company 60th WNFR RecapDecember 16, 2018
- Frontier Rodeo Company Announced 2018 PRCA Stock Contractor of the YearDecember 11, 2018
- SLE Pro Rodeo February 27, 2017
- Frontier Rodeo takes home the gold !! December 1, 2016
- Medicine Woman Does it Again !!October 24, 2016
- Don Gay to judge Big Tex Choice contest August 24, 2016
- Schlegel has career day at Cody StampedeJuly 6, 2016
- Wrights dominate saddle bronc riding at Cody StampedeJuly 5, 2016
- Final Results for Lehi RoundupJune 26, 2016
- Bennett hits right number to win Corpus ChristiApril 19, 2016
- Final Performance Results, Corpus Christi, Texas! April 17, 2016
- Results after Third Performance, Corpus Christi, TXApril 16, 2016
- Corpus Christi results after second performance April 15, 2016
- Results After First Performance, Corpus Christi, TX. April 14, 2016
- Foltyn claims Montgomery crownMarch 28, 2016
- Local Favorite, Clayton Foltyn, of Winnie, Texas Takes Home the Money in Bull RidingMarch 26, 2016
- Southeastern Livestock ExpositionMarch 19, 2016
- Arcadia All-Fla Championship RodeoMarch 14, 2016
- Brown has sunny time in FloridaMarch 14, 2016
- ‘He’s the one,’ Palin campaigns for Trump at Arcadia RodeoMarch 14, 2016
- Lewis Feild: Oct. 28, 1956 – Feb. 15, 2016February 16, 2016
- 64th Annual Mid Winter Fair Rodeo WinnersJanuary 19, 2016
- Frontier Rodeo Company Named 2015 Stock Contractor of the YearDecember 21, 2015
- 2015 world champions crowned in Las VegasDecember 13, 2015
- Rusty Wright continues family’s winning legacyDecember 10, 2015
- State Fair Of Louisiana Pro RodeoOctober 27, 2015
- Medicine Woman, Dirty Jacket repeat as top stockOctober 20, 2015
- Pasadena Livestock Show & RodeoSeptember 23, 2015
- Casey Martin breaks through in CodyAugust 17, 2015
- Casey Martin breaks through in CodyAugust 17, 2015
- Freedom Rodeo And Old Cowhand ReunionAugust 17, 2015
- Diaz Sets Dodge City Round-Up Arena RecordAugust 3, 2015
- Kimzey has Good Time at Spanish ForkJuly 27, 2015
- Hardwick tops WCC Spanish Fork fieldJune 2, 2015
- Asay rides Frontier’s Dirty Cop to overall lead in bull riding at Buc Days RodeoApril 26, 2015
- Hermann thrills crowd to win barrel racing on final day of Buc Days Rodeo in Corpus ChristiApril 26, 2015
- Murphy, Breding finally tame Frontier bulls to lead going into weekend at Buc Days RodeoApril 25, 2015
- Frontier bulls steal spotlight on first day of Buc Days RodeoApril 24, 2015
- YMBL Championship Rodeo resultsMarch 28, 2015
- Outside the Arena -- True MaverickMarch 26, 2015
- Full Baggage has Young thinking about more travel (Southeastern Livestock Exposition results)March 22, 2015
- Spencer happily takes his Medicine in ArcadiaMarch 15, 2015
- Frontier Rodeo Co. building history with award-winning livestock; looks to Roswell May 15-16March 10, 2015
- Jerry Nelson's Frontier Rodeo Company Will Provide the World's Top Bucking Horses for THE AMERICANFebruary 28, 2015
- Semi-Finals crowns champions, names American qualifiersFebruary 28, 2015
- Andrews Rodeo dominates WNFR Top Stock AwardsDecember 23, 2014
- PRCA Bucking Stock of the Year AnnouncedOctober 20, 2014
- State Fair of Louisiana Accounts New Pro Rodeo Contract for 2014September 22, 2014
- Pasadena Livestock Show & Rodeo ResultsSeptember 18, 2014
- Pass, Bownds gain ground in PasadenaSeptember 18, 2014
- Results: XIT Rodeo & Reunion in Dalhart, TXAugust 11, 2014
- Sundell Finds Right Medicine in Dodge CityAugust 5, 2014
- Cody Stampede - Rodeo ResultsJuly 8, 2014
- Stall Rushes Toward Top with Big Night in CodyJuly 1, 2014
- Cody Wright Lets it Rip for 90 in MontgomeryMarch 15, 2014
- Frontier Rodeo Scores Big in Bucking Stock AwardsOctober 21, 2013
- Frontier Rodeo Featured in Buckin' Stock MagazineOctober 1, 2013
- World’s Top Rodeo and Bull Riding Champions to Compete for $2 Million Cash Payout in Richest One-Day Event in Western Sports HistoryAugust 22, 2013