LATEST FRONTIER NEWS
Diaz Sets Dodge City Round-Up Arena RecordAugust 3, 2015
DODGE CITY, Kan. - The third time was a charm for saddle bronc rider Isaac Diaz, who even surprised himself when he rode for an arena record 93 points on Frontier Rodeo's Medicine Woman to win the Dodge City (Kan.) Round-Up.
Diaz won the final round by a whopping six points and took the two-head average with 173 points.
“This was the third time I’ve had her,” Diaz said of Medicine Woman, the two-time Saddle Bronc Horse of the Year (2011, 2014). “This was by far the best she’s ever been for me. She was phenomenal.”
Diaz rode Medicine Woman for 87 points to split the win in Corpus Christi earlier this season, and split third in his other trip on her.
Medicine Woman carried Wade Sundell to the Dodge City Round-Up arena record of 92 points just one year ago.
Diaz was ecstatic after setting the new record.
“I’m on Cloud 9,” he said. “This was my career best, too. I didn’t even know I was capable of going 93.”
It was the second-highest scored saddle bronc ride of the season, behind the 94-point ride of Spencer Wright on Beutler & Son’s Rebel Soul in a preliminary round at Rodeo Austin (Texas) in March.
Diaz had tied for fourth in the first round in Dodge City before setting a personal best with his 93-point ride. His previous high was 91 points on Flying 5 Rodeo’s Spring Planting, the 2009 Saddle Bronc Horse of the Year, at Ellensburg, Wash.
It was the first win at the Dodge City Round-Up for the 28-year-old cowboy from Desdemona, Texas.
“I finished second here twice,” Diaz said. “Billy Etbauer got me by a point one year and J.J. Elshere beat me the next year.”
Like many cowboys, he grew up hearing about famous western Kansas rodeo.
“It’s awesome to win here,” he said. “You hear about Dodge City when you’re a little kid and you dream of winning here. In a bronc rider’s mind, Cheyenne (Wyo.), here and Ellensburg are the best short rounds all year long because of the stock they have. Guys just know when they’re coming into the short round at those rodeos that they have a chance to go 90 because of the stock.”
Diaz earned $4,684 in Dodge City to add his already successful season. When the week began, he sat eighth in the Windham Weaponry High Performance PRCA World Standings with $56,350.
He’s on track to qualify for his fifth Wrangler National Finals Rodeo. He made it to Las Vegas in 2007 (eighth in the world), 2009 (11th) and 2012-13 (10th both years).
“This year has been unbelievable,” Diaz said. “I’ve drawn better than ever, it seems, and I’m riding better than ever. I put my faith in God and I know he’s with me at all times. My faith is everything to me.”
His wife of about 18 months, barrel racer Britany Diaz, was 18th in the July 20 world standings but recently slipped just out of the top 20 when her horse was hurt. She qualified for the WNFR in 2011 and ’14.
“We’ll make it the same year one of these times,” Isaac Diaz said. “That’d be a dream to go together.”
Other winners at the $322,324 rodeo were all-around cowboy J.D. Yates ($1,648 in team roping and steer roping), bareback rider Matt Bright (164 points on two head), steer wrestler Stockton Graves (12.0 seconds on three head), team ropers David Key and Martin Lucero (16.5 seconds on three head), tie-down roper Caleb Smidt (27.0 seconds on three head), barrel racer Tillar Murray (51.34 seconds on three head), steer roper Scott Snedecor (36.8 seconds on three head) and bull rider Aaron Pass (176 points on two head).
Read more about the Dodge City Round-Up in the Aug. 14 ProRodeo Sports News.
For more information and to read more log on to (copy and paste the link in your web browser):
Other Frontier Rodeo News
- BUCKING BULL SALE - Monday, Sept. 2, 2019 - Freedom, OKJuly 18, 2019
- Top roughstock rides at the 91st Annual Arcadia All-Florida Championship Rodeo - March 7-10, 2019March 14, 2019
- Frontier Rodeo Company 60th WNFR RecapDecember 16, 2018
- Frontier Rodeo Company Announced 2018 PRCA Stock Contractor of the YearDecember 11, 2018
- SLE Pro Rodeo February 27, 2017
- Frontier Rodeo takes home the gold !! December 1, 2016
- Medicine Woman Does it Again !!October 24, 2016
- Don Gay to judge Big Tex Choice contest August 24, 2016
- Schlegel has career day at Cody StampedeJuly 6, 2016
- Wrights dominate saddle bronc riding at Cody StampedeJuly 5, 2016
- Final Results for Lehi RoundupJune 26, 2016
- Bennett hits right number to win Corpus ChristiApril 19, 2016
- Final Performance Results, Corpus Christi, Texas! April 17, 2016
- Results after Third Performance, Corpus Christi, TXApril 16, 2016
- Corpus Christi results after second performance April 15, 2016
- Results After First Performance, Corpus Christi, TX. April 14, 2016
- Foltyn claims Montgomery crownMarch 28, 2016
- Local Favorite, Clayton Foltyn, of Winnie, Texas Takes Home the Money in Bull RidingMarch 26, 2016
- Southeastern Livestock ExpositionMarch 19, 2016
- Arcadia All-Fla Championship RodeoMarch 14, 2016
- Brown has sunny time in FloridaMarch 14, 2016
- ‘He’s the one,’ Palin campaigns for Trump at Arcadia RodeoMarch 14, 2016
- Lewis Feild: Oct. 28, 1956 – Feb. 15, 2016February 16, 2016
- 64th Annual Mid Winter Fair Rodeo WinnersJanuary 19, 2016
- Frontier Rodeo Company Named 2015 Stock Contractor of the YearDecember 21, 2015
- 2015 world champions crowned in Las VegasDecember 13, 2015
- Rusty Wright continues family’s winning legacyDecember 10, 2015
- Frontier Rodeo Company Receives PRCA Stock Contractor of the Year, Saddle Bronc of the Year, Medicine Woman, and PRCA Reserve World Champion Bareback Horse of the Year, Full Baggage! December 3, 2015
- State Fair Of Louisiana Pro RodeoOctober 27, 2015
- Medicine Woman, Dirty Jacket repeat as top stockOctober 20, 2015
- Pasadena Livestock Show & RodeoSeptember 23, 2015
- Casey Martin breaks through in CodyAugust 17, 2015
- Casey Martin breaks through in CodyAugust 17, 2015
- Freedom Rodeo And Old Cowhand ReunionAugust 17, 2015
- Kimzey has Good Time at Spanish ForkJuly 27, 2015
- Hardwick tops WCC Spanish Fork fieldJune 2, 2015
- Asay rides Frontier’s Dirty Cop to overall lead in bull riding at Buc Days RodeoApril 26, 2015
- Hermann thrills crowd to win barrel racing on final day of Buc Days Rodeo in Corpus ChristiApril 26, 2015
- Murphy, Breding finally tame Frontier bulls to lead going into weekend at Buc Days RodeoApril 25, 2015
- Frontier bulls steal spotlight on first day of Buc Days RodeoApril 24, 2015
- YMBL Championship Rodeo resultsMarch 28, 2015
- Outside the Arena -- True MaverickMarch 26, 2015
- Full Baggage has Young thinking about more travel (Southeastern Livestock Exposition results)March 22, 2015
- Spencer happily takes his Medicine in ArcadiaMarch 15, 2015
- Frontier Rodeo Co. building history with award-winning livestock; looks to Roswell May 15-16March 10, 2015
- Jerry Nelson's Frontier Rodeo Company Will Provide the World's Top Bucking Horses for THE AMERICANFebruary 28, 2015
- Semi-Finals crowns champions, names American qualifiersFebruary 28, 2015
- Andrews Rodeo dominates WNFR Top Stock AwardsDecember 23, 2014
- PRCA Bucking Stock of the Year AnnouncedOctober 20, 2014
- State Fair of Louisiana Accounts New Pro Rodeo Contract for 2014September 22, 2014
- Pasadena Livestock Show & Rodeo ResultsSeptember 18, 2014
- Pass, Bownds gain ground in PasadenaSeptember 18, 2014
- Results: XIT Rodeo & Reunion in Dalhart, TXAugust 11, 2014
- Sundell Finds Right Medicine in Dodge CityAugust 5, 2014
- Cody Stampede - Rodeo ResultsJuly 8, 2014
- Stall Rushes Toward Top with Big Night in CodyJuly 1, 2014
- Cody Wright Lets it Rip for 90 in MontgomeryMarch 15, 2014
- Frontier Rodeo Scores Big in Bucking Stock AwardsOctober 21, 2013
- Frontier Rodeo Featured in Buckin' Stock MagazineOctober 1, 2013
- World’s Top Rodeo and Bull Riding Champions to Compete for $2 Million Cash Payout in Richest One-Day Event in Western Sports HistoryAugust 22, 2013